I don't know her political views. I've read that she's moderate. I don't even know what that really means. I guess what draws my attention to all these articles is the fact that she has type 1 diabetes. That interests me.
There is such a misconception about type 1 diabetes. The public think they know what it is, but they don't...not really. It makes me sad when I come across blogs that take sarcastic stabs at it. Funny? No. I hold to this - only the families/friends who have first-hand knowledge of the disease have the right to lighten things up with humor about diabetes. I won't even site the blog that tore up Sotomayor for having diabetes...don't want to give any credit there.
But, I will, however list several articles and sites where you can read more about this historic first. I am hopeful that Sotomayor's appointment as a Supreme Court Justice will give diabetes a spotlight...full of truth and public awareness.
- New York Times "Health Spotlight is on Diabetes - It's Control and It's Complications" http://is.gd/GQAj
- Daily News "Like all her life hurdles, Sotomayor shrugs off diabetes" http://tinyurl.com/o5p662
- Diabetes Mine "Sotomayor's Diabetes -- Our 'Teachable Moment'" http://tinyurl.com/o997ro
- Time "Her Diabetes - Will It Be a Handicap?" http://tinyurl.com/ov4rjr
- The Nation ""Judge Sotomayor's Diabetes is One of Her Strengths" http://tinyurl.com/or5p7c