Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bits 'n' Pieces

1. You won't believe this story! It is stunning. And not in the good sense. I am choosing to think about this as a really good wake-up call to a lot of us parents. A boy's insulin pump was ripped right off of his body and stolen by a bunch of ignorant thugs. That's my commentary on it. Watch the news clip for yourself. http://cbs2.com/video/?id=102653 I believe it aired on May 13th. What brings it home further is the fact that it happened just about 10-12 miles away from where we live.

2. A diabetic Supreme Court Judge? I got into a downward spiral this week when I began to follow link after link about President Obama's Supreme Court appointment pick, Sonia Sotomayor. She has been a type 1 diabetic for the majority of her life. I guess the questions are hurling around the internet regarding her ability to do the job...being diabetic. In my opinion, to question this, is absurd. There are diabetic triathletes, for goodness' sake! Anyway...check out Amy's take on it all at Diabetes Mine -- one of the more rational postings on the issue.

3. Summer Reading List - Whenever this time of year rolls around, I begin to dream of all those lazy summer afternoons of sprinklers, lemonade and a good book. (It really is a dream. I have 3 kids to keep busy!) Nonetheless, I am beginning to form my summer reading list. Included, are some diabetes-related books, a cancer-related book and 2 "just for fun" reads.

* Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts

* Sweet Invisible Body by Lisa Roney

* Lop-sided: A Memoir by Merideth Norton

* The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

* The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

Start dreaming and getting your list ready, too.

4. Engaging in Twitter-dom - I read a very intriguing article this week from a fellow tweeter (twitterer?) about making Twitter beneficial. We're relatively new at it so I've posed that very question several times in my head, as well as actually tweeting about it. If you're wondering about this like I have been, read this article and see what you think. Why Twitter Doesn't Work http://bit.ly/NkpRA

5. Our JDRF fundraiser is going full steam ahead! Our family has been wanting to do some kind of major fundraiser for the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). We participate in the annual Fall walk in Ontario with friends and family, but it always sneaks up on us without having done much preparation for it. So...we got to thinking...Since we spend so many Saturdays at the ball field and the Little League's annual carnival is fast approaching, why not set up a booth of some sort. We got the go-ahead from the board. The snack bar is loaning us the sno-cone machine. We'll bring the other supplies and sell sno-cones, regular and sugar-free! Pray for a hot weekend...Saturday, May 30th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting on our blog!