Thursday, January 7, 2010

Batter Up!

So, C had softball tryouts on Monday night.  Yes.  7 year olds...trying out for a sport. 

Now, both the boys are deep into baseball.  Our family lives it...breathes it.  However, I guess it never dawned on any of us that, though, C is constantly there, at all the games (since life began for her)...she never really has played the game.  Hmmm...

Just after dinner, they began to practice.  Throwing, pitching, batting, catching.  A crash course for sure!  I was nervous for her.  I didn't want her to feel the pressure.  So, we hopped in the car and headed for the field...all of us, brothers included.

While I checked in at the registration table, Big C took her to the practice field to give her a few tips.  (This warmed my heart.)  It would be quite a wait for C's group to be called.  Group #1 was finished.  Group #2 was being rounded up.  C would be in Group #4.  So, we chatted with other parents.  Middle C met up with a friend.  We watched as the other girls were "trying out."

Group #2 was finished...on to #3. 

I began to fidget.  C needs to get checked, I thought.  I tried getting her attention on the practice field.  Big C was still giving her some catching advice.  I tried waving to him.  They're absorbed in practice.  Okay, it can wait.

Group #3 was half way through.  She's got to be tested, I thought.  And though I tried setting her up well with the dinner bolus, you never can tell what surprises diabetes will hold.  Dad was now out on the practice field as well.  I didn't want to make a scene...so I whipped out my new fancy phone and texted him.  "C needs to test!"...no response.  I texted Big C.  "Bring C over so she can test..."  Neither one reached for their phones.

"Group 4!" a lady called out.  Finally, there they all came, in from the field.

C seemed fine enough.  She grabbed a helmet and started over to the group.  "Hold on," I said.  "You've got to test."  5...4...3...2...1...54!  Darn it.  Juice box.  She scooped up all her equipment and headed to the dugout.  I motioned for Dad to follow with her kit.  "Let someone know she's low," I said.  They would have to skip over her until her number comes up. 

I sighed.  Apparently, I sighed heavily.  An older lady, standing nearby looked at me and said, "Oh, we have some diabetes in our family too.  It's just great how the kids can take care of it themselves and it's no big deal, is it?!" 

What?  What???!  "It's a bummer," I said.  "It's a huge deal."  I forced a smile.  Then I got up and walked away.  I guess I wasn't in the mood for a new year's resolution.
________________________________________

Oh, C's tryout?  She hit the ball 2 out of 3 times.  She never caught it, but she threw it hard!...Like an All-Star!!


2 comments:

  1. Why can't diabetes just give us a break... just for a little bit??

    As for softball............. GO C!!!!! I love softball. I played from the age of 5 to the age of 16!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo D for harshin' C's tryouts! Yay mom and C for doing what needed to be done and not letting it slow anyone down!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for commenting on our blog!