Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Dangerous Diet

Deliberate insulin omission as a unique and readily available means of controlling weight, by inducing hyperglycemia and glycosuria.22 Many groups have shown that deliberate insulin omission or dose manipulation is the most common method of purging among girls with diabetes7,10,23 and that this behavior becomes progressively more common as weight and shape concerns increase in young women.10

This comes from an article by Dennis Daneman, MB,BCh, FRCPC & Gary Rodin, MD, FRCPC

__________________________________________________

We were just finished with our last endo appointment for C. We had gotten some bad news regarding her A1c number (but that's for another post). As we rounded the corner and headed for the Tiger elevators - I love Childrens Hospital - we came upon a dad and his teenage daughter. As they continued their conversation, I couldn't help but over-hear. Okay! I was eaves-dropping. But I'm so glad I did. This is scary stuff. Every parent of a type 1 girl (or boy, for that matter) should know about this not-so-uncommon issue.

"You've got to take to heart what the doctor said, honey."

"I know, I know, dad, but I've lost so much weight! So what if my numbers were on the higher side. I've gotten back down to a size 4!"

"Sweetheart, the risk for complications just isn't worth it. Your doctor knows what she's talking about."

"Dad, it's not like I'm gonna go blind tomorrow!"

There was a knot in my stomach.

Before I realized what I was doing, I chimed in: "Your dad's right. It's just not worth it!" I looked at the dad. He faintly smiled at me. I hadn't been invited into the conversation. But there we were, in awkward silence, traveling down to the parking level together. As the elevator doors opened I looked down at C and squeezed her hand. I glanced at the pretty teenage girl. I smiled. She smiled back at me, but her face did not look convinced that this diet of high numbers is dangerous.
As we drove home, I tuned into Radio Disney for C. But I was consumed by my thoughts. They drowned out the Cheetah Girls and Hannah Montana as I wrestled with them nearly the entire 45 minute drive home. I supposed all I could really do is hope and pray that C continues to grow a healthy and realistic image of her body. And that she will care enough about her life to fight the "good diabetes fight" -- to strive for those in-range numbers, to test vigilently and to be honest with herself and her doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting on our blog!