Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Recall!

Okay, so we've had some crazy relentless high numbers the last few weeks! It's taken a toll on the sleep issue for us, not to mention doing a "number" on C's A1c, no doubt. It's been frustrating, irritating and...downright mysterious...until now (maybe!).

As I sifted through Twitter news from all our diabetes friends, I came across a notification from @DiabetesMine Recall on Medtronic infusion sets (seek link). Okay, I thought. I'll have to look into that. I forgot all about it until our UPS man dropped off a nice big package for C just a few hours later. Yep. Recall. 1 new box of infusion sets and directions to send any unused sets back to them.

As I read the recall letter, lightbulbs start flickering above my head like a cartoon.

Question 1: Why is Medtronic recalling Lot 8 Quick-set infusion sets?

Answer: We recently identified that approximately 2% of "Lot 8" infusion sets do not allow the insulin pump to vent. This can potentially cause too much or too little insulin to be delivered.

Huh. I remember having to change C's site several times ahead of schedule due to consistently high numbers during the last several weeks. Perhaps we are part of the 2%? When we're part of the small percetage of something, it sure feels like 100% to us!

Needless to say, C's site has been changed and I've gone through the steps to send back our unused sets. I already messed up one set. It got all sticky and stuck in the quick-sert device. (Arghh!) So, we are down to only 8 from the new box. I will hope our other replacements will be here soon.

A side note. Smack-dab in the middle of the recall letter?...could potentially result in too much or too little insulin being delivered and may lead to serious injury or death. Gee, diabetes, you're so subtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting on our blog!